Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Dear Daddy made it through his surgery without a hitch! He is recovering nicely in his super large room at Memorial Hospital. He now has a wound vac on his chest. Pretty gnarly sight, but it is doing its job. The doctor told us after surgery that Daddy's three plates that were put in his sternum on Dec. 19th were completely shifted over to one side when he opened him up. Also his sternum was no longer together and there was about a half inch gap. Fortunately there was not an abscess, or large puss pocket (YUCK - totally), but just fluid. They are culturing it and will give us the results maybe on Monday. Who knows, sometimes you never find out until you dig a little. Daddy had asked the doctor for the plates because they were his at $3,000 each and he wanted to make a wind chime out of them when this was all over. LOL!!! Dr. Fowler said that he asked for them, but had to give them to pathology to examine and destroy. I think he thought that I planned on selling them on Ebay! NOT!!

The leg that drained (his upper right thigh) was opened again and he tried to find the leak in Daddy's lymph system, but we don't think he did. Daddy has a JP drain and it keeps filling up in the same fashion and amount as before the operation, so that part doesn't seem like a success. They may have to open it again and put a wound vac on it. We just don't know yet. All I keep saying is that they shouldn't have used his right leg like we told them from the beginning and all of this would have been avoided. I believe this with all of my heart and soul!

His lower right leg (inside calf) has now been opened and all of the infection (I hope) removed. It has been left as an open wound and will have to be dressed and packed daily. Not a pretty sight. This was a spot that was looking great until his Jan 1st surgery when they put the "boot" on his leg after surgery and it started draining yucky stuff and was downhill after that! Poor Daddy has had a time with that right leg! He has been in a lot of pain, but is off of his pain meds and fighting through it all. You know the rest of your body doesn't work right with pain meds flowing through it, so I think he is trying to get back some sort of normalcy!

My Mother (A/K/A MeeMee), as expected, has been right by his side the entire time. She has been a trouper and needs an award (a really big one like a cruise). She has been his protector, provider, complete caregiver, wife, friend, and the love of his life. I heard him whisper in her ear (after this last surgery) that she was the best thing that ever happened in his life and he loved her so much. Makes me tear up now to type it. I absolutely HATE that they have to go through all of this, but at least they have each other and that's a lot!

Well, I have spent the weekend banned from visiting because I had a bit of a fever with some aches and pains (nothing major) and the kids (all three) have got some sort of funk going on. Mother is a pit bull on germ carriers and I completely understand (glad she is!). I would die before I ever gave them a bug. I am feeling better, but my girl was running 100 degree fever earlier (after her Daddy/Daughter date to the circus). I will have to blog about that happier stuff later this week. Even Max and Cole have some sort of crud, cough, sore throat and what not!

I feel frustrated with so much, but in the same token blessed by so much and so many special people. How can I complain? Really! Mickey and Dee have been wonderful this entire time! He should have been my Daddy's brother! They claim it that way anyway! They have been there through it all and are such a comfort to have around. Bruce has been a best bud to my Daddy and he and Betty have brought food to the hospital to my Mother several times. Their visits always cheer them up. Random visits from my preacher and deacons have been a blessing. I have such a sweet church family. They probably think I have abandoned them, but I will be back! Other churches that are praying for Daddy have sent various visitors who have all prayed with my parents. Leigh has been a lifesaver - literally! She always perks my parents up with her humor and her love of good food - like French toast, "pooter" sandwiches and sweet tea! It thrills my Daddy to death to have his little sister Margret (Til) and her husband Jerry to visit. They have been good to bring snacks and such to the hospital when they can. Loads of people have been praying for Daddy and lots we don't even know. I even have a friend, thanks to my blog, that is all the way in Brazil and her family prays for Pappy Joe! Loads of my "old" friends who are on FaceBook are also asking about and praying for my Daddy. It is amazing how everyone comes together - all the way down to my parent's neighbors old and new. Even though Angel hasn't wanted to share her family's germs, so she hasn't been able to visit (thanks for keeping all them germs to yo-self!) has been a great support. Heck, she is the only willing soul (brave woman) who will keep all three of my Rug-Rats (at the same time too). She really loves my parents - along with the rest of the family! I just had to take a moment to say thank you to so many for so much. I love y'all!

3 comments:

Kecia said...

Thamk you for the love Jodi!! We have adopted "Pappy" Has our own!
We love you guys andour church is praying for him... Even my sister's church is on board too!!

A BIG HUG for the fighter Joe! Tellhim that welove him in Christ, and everything will be made new in His name!

P.S: I ok now... I have to go to the doctors today, but is normal... Because of tha heart treatment i have to go there every week... Argh!

Windy said...

I am so glad to see a positive post! I will keep praying for them (and you). FB is amazing in that it brings out so many people, and to me it is interesting to see that even the kids you wondered about in HS, have found their way to the Lord. I hope you get to see your Daddy at his own home soon and all of the hospital stuff will be over with!

Kecia said...

How is Joe? We hope that everything is ok...Still praying!!
Please keep us posted.

God bless you!