Friday, February 27, 2009

This update is so very overdue! My Daddy is doing better, thank the good Lord! He has now moved over to Roger C. Peace Sub-Acute again as of Feb. 20 and is very happy seeing all of his old nurse buddies and rehab friends! It has been like "Old Home Week" Mother said. He has had a few set backs since his last surgery, but is doing well. He had to have a wound vac attached to his lower leg because it just wasn't healing (Feb. 13). It has done so well since then and healed so quickly that the wound vac was removed on Feb. 25 to much joy and celebration! Anything to show progress in Daddy's book is fabulous! He went through a procedure to open his upper thigh (again) and they attached the wound vac to it also on Feb. 18. The JP drain just wasn't doing the trick and his lymph fluid was still draining at such a rate that they had to go for the vac. Now Daddy has two attachments to the wound vac machine - his chest and his thigh. He is still receiving his IV antibiotics and other meds in a happy environment where he is healing nicely! I still liked the suite they had over in the regular hospital better, but Daddy is happy and comfortable so that's what matters most. Mother is still by his side as expected! I gave Daddy a haircut yesterday and he said that it made him feel so much better! Funny how little things mean so much when you have lost so much of your day to day "freedoms" and had to adjust.
I really can't say that I have adjusted as well as they appear to have, because sometimes I just boo hoo all by myself. My heart breaks for them! They are missing out on so much of the fun they enjoyed! I am just being selfish (I know), but I miss the way things used to be! I miss my parents' adventurous side, my Daddy's barnyard, common sense, helpfulness, my Kamden's MeeMee times spent cuddling and spending the night on her blow-up bed (she cries for her MeeMee all the time), Cole's fun times catching lizards and throwing the football with his fun-loving Pappy and Max's love of playing board games with his MeeMee and Pappy (the original gamesters!). I miss them talking about the birds outside of their kitchen window, instead of wound dressings and nurses. I miss going for a visit and ending up at a state park with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I am so fortunate, blessed and happy to have them, and look FORWARD to getting back to the way things used to be before November 4, 2008 when our lives changed. I know Daddy will never be the Hercules he used to be, but I don't care, I just want him happy and healthy. Oh no, tears! Gotta get my goofy self together and stop reflecting! Focus on the positive chick!

Drum roll . . . their estimated going home (discharge) date is set for March 18. We all really want that date to come quickly and for their stay at home to be a long, healthy one filled with mountain views, sunsets and birdwatching, oh yeah . . . and filled with their "younguns" too (all five of us!).

4 comments:

Kecia said...

Oh dear friend we are so happy that Joe is doing better!

Everything will be just fine...BELIEVE!!!

We love you in Christ!

Angel said...

OK-I did not know he had a "homecoming" date set-Praise the Lord-I know how hard this has been for you-you have the best parents in the world and I know they are so proud of what a great daughter you have been during this entire nightmare-everyone needs someone in their corner like you-to fight their battles and make sure they get the proper care-We just have to believe that it won't be long before they are back to their old selves-the summer will be great! Keep believing-Love you!

Ally, big sister to Lillyana said...

Just stopping by! Glad to hear your dad is getting better!

Windy said...

Thank the Lord for a good report - been wondering about you guys:)
Hope all continues to go well!