Monday, January 5, 2009

HARD TO BELIEVE>>>>>
My Daddy has been back in the hospital since 10:40 pm on December 31. He had to be taken by ambulance from his home, which was like being on a roller coaster (according to Daddy). He really gave us quite a scare and I thought, for the first time since all of this began, that I could truly lose him. I talked to him at 7:00 pm just before my family and I went to David's annual New Year's party, and he was doing wonderfully. He still had a lot of pain in his chest, but said he had his best day since the second surgery. I felt wonderful talking to him and hearing the positive tone in his voice. Who would ever dream that just two hours later I would get a call from my Mother saying, "Don't get upset, but Daddy's going to have to go back to the hospital. His chest is swelling badly and we don't know what is wrong, but the doctor said to hurry back to the hospital." I could hear my Daddy wailing in the background for her to hurry and there was a definite panic sound in his voice.
I couldn't believe my ears and told Craig and the kids who were in disbelief right with me. My Daddy had already gone through so, so much, how could something else go wrong. Well, Craig left the boys and gathered up Kamden and we rushed to the hospital. I called my one of my dearest old best buddies, Leigh-Leigh, who was working in the ER that night and told her to expect him. Actually we texted for a while and then we spoke. She made sure that Daddy had a suitable room (#7) in the Critical Cardiac unit and that everyone was aware of his situation and would be ready to work on him when he got there. I think our entire outcome could have been different if she hadn't been filling in for another nurse. Thanks Leigh-Leigh from the bottom of my heart for taking such wonderful care of my Daddy through all of this, but especially on New Year's Eve. Craig dropped me off just as the ambulance had delivered Daddy, so Leigh had seen him. She wouldn't look me in the face, but instead walked ahead and casually said, "Prepare yourself . . . he looks pretty bad!"
When I walked into the room I felt numb. My sweet Daddy was in horrific pain and his chest had swollen to about 5 times the original size and his staples (that were still there from the plastic surgeon removing half on Monday) were pulling and leaking blood all down his chest. The holes where he had previously had chest tubes (the doctor had also removed these on Monday - mistake I think) were draining profusely. He looked like a pigeon or like Mighty Mouse because his chest was so swollen and engorged. He grabbed my hand and said, "If I die, I love you and your children more than anything on this earth! I know my body can't take much more. I am going to bust wide open! I wish God would just take me and not make me suffer!"
I was there for that moment with no one else in this room except us and time seemed to stand still as tears poured from my eyes. I felt that I was in a nightmare! I had not imagined that he would be in such bad shape. I raised my voice and got down to his face, looked him squarely in the eyes and said, "I need you and I love you so much! You can't give up like this! You have to fight with every ounce of strength you have! God doesn't want you right now!" What else could I do? He grimaced in pain like he was having a heart attack and kept yelling for help. Somewhere in all of that he told me he loved me again and he wanted to know where Craig was and to tell him that he loved him too.
Finally a cardiac doctor and Dr. Fowler (a plastic surgeon he had seen at Roger C. Peace) walked in and got the wheels in motion to get Daddy prepared for a third chest opening after chest x-rays and a CAT Scan. Dr. Folwer declared it an emergency (dahhh) at about 11:45 pm. He didn't sugar coat anything and "matter of factly" explained how Daddy was going back to square one. His chest would be completely opened once again. Daddy said, "NO!" and looked at me so helplessly. Mother was literally crumbling and crying. Daddy was given plasma so his blood would clot properly as the New Year rang in throughout the hospital workers. It was all so surreal and in slow, slow motion. They took him back around 1:00 am and the last thing he said was for me to call my preacher and have him pray for him.
Mother, Margaret (Daddy's sister), Jerry (brother in-law), Craig, and I sat up in the CVICU until finally Dr. Fowler emerged from opening my Daddy's chest and draining all of the blood (600 cc's to be exact) that had formed a large hematoma. We finally got to see him at 5:15 am and he said he felt so much better getting all of that pressure off of his chest. He was back in CVICU so he could be well monitored.
It has been four days post-surgery and he is now in a regular hospital room. Dr. Fowler first had his chest bound with something like a girdle, but then changed to ace bandages wrapped tightly. Daddy has now had six blood transfusions because his hemoglobin has been so low (6.7) and they want it to be 12 or so. He is once again in healing mode with two chest tubes. It is very painful to do just about anything but lay around in the hospital bed. He did actually take a short walk in the hallway yesterday because he felt like he had a bubble of air in his abdomen and it was causing extra pain so walking a bit may have helped to work it out. He could have to have more surgery on his leg wound because it continues to fill the "JP" drain and they expected it to stop by now. He just has so much healing to do.
To those of you who read my blog and made it through this long post, please continue to keep my daddy in your prayers. We hope that this is the final "leg" of the journey and that the "third time is the charm". Thanks for your support and prayers. We love him so much!

4 comments:

Windy said...

I'm speechless. I am still in prayer for him and for you and your mom. Please keep us posted.

Debby said...

Wow Jody, I can't begin to imagine the pain and turmoil you all are going through. I will continue to pray for you all!

Kecia said...

We will continue our prayers!!
We love you so much!! Be strong!!

Angel said...

You just made me cry a very unlady like cry. I am so sorry that you have had to go through this again-I know God has big plans for your daddy-he is going to be a walking miracle-I wish I could have been with you through this-I had no idea it was so intense that night-next time call my house even if it is 3 am-I am here for you whenever!
So glad he is home and recovering-The bible says when 2 or more pray and agree that HE will hear our prayers and be faithful to answer-So I am joining you in praying that this time is the charm and that God will get all the glory for healing your daddy-
Hope everyone is getting better at home-I know how hard this is for you to be unable to help your mom-wish I could give you a big hug-call me if you need me-