Monday, November 24, 2008


My Daddy has really been through a lot - to say the least! The pictures above are just a few of the day by day journey through open-heart surgery! Yes, I made him smile, but he instantly went back to his sad look after the camera clicked. His chest pain is much better and his heart (praise the Lord) is doing everything right. The only things holding him back are his legs - especially his right. He has an open wound on his upper thigh from the doctor strolling in his room and declaring that he had to have the incision from the vein harvesting opened and drained. The physician's assistant came in and opened the very painful sight using scissors (with no pain medication for my poor Daddy who moaned in pain) and proceeded insert his entire pointer finger & a few swabs under the skin and other tissues until he ruptured the blood clot that was causing such pressure. It looked like a volcano erupting! OH MY! I witnessed the entire event and wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. It was definitely a sight I will never forget! Now, Daddy has a large gaping hole in his upper thigh and cellulitis on his lower leg. I keep questioning the possibility of Staph, but the medical pros just "blow me off". Long and short of it is that he just can't walk by himself, let alone get up. He barely can take baby steps with two aides on either side and is in terrific pain. Never thought this would happen from heart surgery! We have since heard from others that the legs could be the most painful. He just doesn't seem to be getting any better and today they are talking about sending him home. My parents just couldn't handle being at home with no help from trained professionals. I, of course, would be there as much as possible and feel totally capable to dress the wound areas (I videoed the nurse, so now I am trained - ha!), but after Tuesday the kids will be out of school. I think one loving leap in the lap from Kamden would send my Daddy over the edge! I just don't know what is going to happen and I am so worried for Daddy and Mother. There is a rehabilitation place next door to the hospital, but Mother wouldn't be able to stay with Daddy and he doesn't want her to leave him. Argh! I pray that he can at least stay two more days in the hospital, as I think that would make a difference in his mobility. WE SHALL SEE! You know how all hospitals want to kick you out on your nose? Well after nearly three weeks of Daddy being in there I think they are more than ready to give him the boot! Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers, y'all!

5 comments:

Kecia said...

Don't worry dear sister! We are all praying for Joe.My whole family and church are in prayer for him!
Please keep us updated!!
LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

Debby said...

It is so great to see your dad smiling,if even for a minute, this Thanksgiving morning! I hope today brings you all news of a quick homecoming!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Hi Jodi, Thank you and happy thanksgiving to you too! I am so sorry about your Dad. You know, my Dad stayed in the rehab hospital here in our town and they let my Mom stay. Are you sure they would not get your Mom a cot? My Dad was there about 4 days and they were wonderful. It was so much better than the hospital. Also, is your Dad possibly a veteran? If so, he might qualify for FREE in-home care. Just another thought. I know all about OHS but I have to say the children fare much better than us adults. But your Dad's color looks GREAT and so do his spirits all things considered. Hang in there.

Lexie said...

I was sent over here from Ashton's blog. I am praying for your daddy. I can imagine how scary this must be for y'all! I couldn't imagine seeing my daddy like this. I am praying that his leg heals very quickly so that he can start focusing more on recovering from open heart surgery!
Hoping for good news soon!

Kecia said...

Just wanted to know some news on Pappy...
Please give us an update!
We love you in Christ!