Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas is just a few days away and having my Daddy make it through his surgery without having to go to ICU is simply the best gift of all! Tonight he sat up on the side of the bed and actually fed himself! This is just one day post-surgery and he is doing great! He is still in a lot of pain, which is understandable - considering he now has three titanium plates in his chest, some kind of muscle flap procedure where they joined together both sides of his chest muscles and they rewired his chest. His incision is much larger than the original one and they stapled it together. I didn't know plastic surgeons stapled, but apparently they do. They also stitched together his open wound on his leg. He is sporting lovely drain tubes on his leg and two from his chest. We are just so THANKFUL that he has the surgery behind him and he is well on his way to being the strong Daddy / Pappy we know him to be.
Kamden has a terrible cough (bronchitis - and on antibiotics) so we can't get her or the boys any where near Daddy. They may have it too and we don't know it yet - so better to be safe than sorry. One more cold and cough might be more than Daddy could take.
My Mother has been right by his side as expected. Mickey, Dee and Jane stayed with Mother while Daddy had his surgery. Thank goodness for wonderful family and friends. I was busy taking Kamden to the doctor and felt so very torn. Daddy's surgery lasted forever. They took him back at 10:20 am and he didn't come back until 3:50 pm. I thought I would never get the call from Mother telling me that it was over! Once again, he is on the slow track to a full recovery! He will be strong and smiling again soon, I just know it!

3 comments:

Jenni Kountz said...

Got your card today! I am so happy to hear your dad is recovering quickly! Give him a big hug & kiss from me. I have your Christmas card from us sitting in front of me. I've been writing a letter with the card off & on for about a week now. It may be a few days late for Christmas but I wanted to let you know we are OK. My dad had open heart surgery this time last year & it is awful waiting for the call to let you know he got off the heart machine and his heart is beating on his own again. I'm on facebook; you can always see what I'm up to there. Search for Jennifer Langley Kountz. Love you all and I think of you almost daily. Jenni

Ashton said...

Jodi-
Praying for Pappy!!!! Email me about your blog REdesign!!!!

Windy said...

So glad to see that everything went well.
Have a great Christmas!
Love the new design:)