Wednesday, August 27, 2008


Kamden is all smiles after her first day of K-4! Yeah!

Well my baby has started school (snif, snif) and to my surprise she loves it (so far). She went on Monday and skipped Tuesday (half the class came on Mon. and half on Tues. to start). She was terribly upset to have missed Tuesday and all of the explaining in the world couldn't make it make sense to her. Why were her brothers at school and she was not? She loves Ms. Trotter and Mrs. Walker and got to be the line leader during a walk to the bathroom, so she thinks she is the "stuff". She is such an independent child and would rather do all things "all by herself", so school is perfect for her. They strive to make the four year olds independent because some of them have been "babied" - you know like Max and Cole! Not my girl! I swear she came out of the womb independent and with a definite opinion! She did not cry at all when Craig and I left her on the first day, but I teared up in the car driving away from the school. Craig looked over at me and said, "She'll be fine." I knew she would be fine! That wasn't the problem. The emotional pull at my heart strings, apron strings, and brain strings (yes I have those too) was killing me. All of my children were out of the house and I was not a needed constant in the home. Premature empty nest cyndrome? True, I am free (sort of), but a super strange feeling came over me and I just couldn't hold back the explosive tears from jumping out of my eyes!

Today I went to a volunteer breakfast at the school and committed myself in every way I could to her teacher. I am the room mom and I hope that makes Miss K happy! I will also be helping with Cole's class (5th grade dance, parties, and DC trip). I sat with him while he had a school breakfast (something he normally doesn't do) and I sat with Kamden who eats breakfast everyday with her entire class. She was so proud to have me there and wanted me to see her favorite kid in the class. Her name was Anna Lee and her brother is in Cole's class. These little girls have a lot in common already with big brothers. Plus they will both be taking speech together (just heard the good news from the speech teacher!). I am amazed at what a wonderful little girl I have. She is an obedient student and respects her teachers and classmates. We must have done something right! I am so proud of her and miss her loud voice ringing through the house. Never thought I would say that! Way to go big girl Kamden. Time is flying, just like Mother has always told me!

2 comments:

Angel said...

I can't believe our little Kamden is in school all day now. She will "own" the class in no time. I can't wait to see pics of her 1st day. I am so proud of what a big girl she is and how well she has done. Give her a big hug for me!

Denna said...

Jodi, Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a beautiful family. Kamden looks so happy in the pictures. My little one would be crying. She don't want to be away from mommy at all. Our babies grow up to fast.