Saturday, August 30, 2008

THREE NEW BABY CHICKS & a BILLY!



Kamden and Cole were thrilled to find we have three freshly hatched baby chicks in "Blonde's" nest. She is the most wonderful hen and allows the children to pet her continuously while she is setting on eggs and is friendly and accommodating when my kids want to cuddle the babies. We were hoping for a couple more, but only three hatched. Maybe there's just been too much moisture in the air - who knows. Honestly after buying the 17 chicks from the feed store for Kamden's birthday (only 13 survived to be "teenagers" as we call them), we didn't need a lot more babies joining the family. I don't know for sure, but I believe we have around 60 hens and three roosters who are all just pets.
We got a new goat on Tuesday and can't decide on a name. Kamden wants to call him Billy, but we just have to be a bit more creative with a name than that. A sweet, elderly man at our church gave him to me in exchange for some fresh eggs and a promise that I will sing a song at church for him. Pretty good deal! My parents assisted in the goat delivery, which wasn't the easiest! Thank goodness he is small and young. Our two girl goats, Cocoa and Cookie Dough needed a boyfriend in the yard so eventually we can have some baby goats. Kamden and Cole would love that! The new billy is young, so I believe we will be waiting a while on an offspring. You will notice that I don't mention Max while writing about the barnyard, because he detests everything about it. The most he does is carries the 50 pound bags of feed to the barrels (while I am helping) and he complains the entire way. I am thankful for his help! He is the strongest one here when his daddy is at work. Needless to say he will never have animals as an adult. He doesn't see the beauty or enjoyment in them - and only sees work and nastiness (as he says). He is such a grumpy old man sometimes, but I love him! LOL!

2 comments:

Angel said...

Tell Miss Kamden we love the photos of her baby chicks. Kamden looks beautiful-such amazing eyes. We think all 3 of your kids are great and we are proud to be a part of your family. I need to get my kids over there to enjoy the barnyard. Maybe I can help price clothes while they play-
Miss you-We need to get together next week and enjoy school days-ha ha

Debby said...

Jodi,

Sometime can you explain to me just how those eggs turn into chickens and NOT stay eggs? I'm totally serious..is it just that the hens sit on them??? Inquiring minds want to KNOW! Your pictures are great as usual.